December can only mean one thing. It’s that time of year when the upcoming food trends are listed!
We’ve spent some time eyeing up what will be on our shopping lists in the New Year, and after a little research here at I Need A Chef we can tell you, 2019 is full of goodness.
Foodies, prepare to say “au revoir” to your Acai bowls, “ciao” to your daily Avo on toast and “adios” to the Poke bowls you’ve been devouring since the start of 2018. Move over unicorn bagel, the latest food trends have been released and we ‘re pretty excited. *Don’t worry, you’ll still be able to get hold of your turmeric latte, you just may be blindsided by what else is on offer.
Unicorn Bagel – PopSugar
Here’s what to expect in amongst the 2019 Food Trends
- Goji berries have been a firm favourite for the past few years, but in 2019 they’re being pushed aside in favour of passion fruit, guava and dragon fruit.
- Sugar substitutes like Luo Han Guo will be on the rise with a huge demand for a healthier, sugar free way of eating.
- Plant-based foods. With an increase in people becoming flexitarian, mushrooms have got an even bigger look in for 2019! The range of plant based snacks is growing, and you will be picking up egg white crisps before you know it. Meat substitutes will be growing in popularity in 2019. We’ve already seen a huge rise in the demand for Jackfruit which is used as a pulled pork substitute, but expect many more meat free options!
- Probiotics are hitting the trend list for 2019. Food developers are already adding them to everyday items in a bid to make us all a little bit more ‘gut healthy’.
- Hemp was hailed the Superfood of 2018, and it seems as if we just can’t hold hemp down! For good reason! Hemp seeds are the second highest source of whole vegetable protein, containing all 21 essential amino acids – more so than chia seeds AND flaxseeds, as well as being high in brain and skin-loving Omega 3 and Omega 6. In addition, hemp is also rich in vitamin E, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, magnesium, sulphur, calcium, iron and zinc; as well as soluble and insoluble fibre. Pass us the hemp!
- Guilt-free frozen treats are getting a make over! Avocado , Hummus and even Tahini are the new flavours on the block when it comes to ice cream! Hands up who’ll be hitting the freezer section on the 1st Jan!
- Probiotic foods, including Kombucha and numerous varieties of fermented foods are growing according to the food trends gurus. Turmeric is a powerful anti-inflammatory and will be rising to the top of the list in 2019.
- Demand for proteins, such as crickets and seaweed, is expected to expand in 2019, as curiosity and willingness to explore protein options grows.
- Seaweed snacks have grown in popularity in recent years but there’s no stopping this ‘taste of the Ocean’ food trend. 2019 food trends will see many sea-inspired must haves. Look out for seaweed butter, kelp noodles, and puffed snacks made from water lily seeds. Plant-based tuna alternatives with algae ingredients and crispy salmon skins packed with omega-3 will be on your list.
- Healthy fats play a big role in 2019 and high fat/low carb diets are still top. A sharp rise is expected in the number of people choosing Keto and Paleo diet regimes. Look out for the coconut butter filled treats!
- Transparent food is on the rise. People want to know where their food has come from, and technology is acknowledging that. New concepts of tracking food from farm to table are coming into play. New bar code technology will enable shoppers to scan a product code with their phone and see the farm their beef came from, how far it travelled and a photo of the farmer!
- Snazzy snacks Yes, ‘luxe snack time’ is here! Expect bite-sized treats such as prosciutto and aged mozzarella.
- Sweets are coming, but not as you know them. Gluten free, organic sweets and puffed rice treats made with organic sugar are taking the 2019 food trend stage!
- Global flavours like the ones you can only find in restaurants will be charging in to homes in 2019. More flavours than ever before! Household brands will be offering new, innovative flavours for home cooks. There will also be more options for the changing taste buds of the nation’s children.
- Eco-conscious packaging We’ve banned the single use carrier bag, and now hospitality industry is taking the steps to make even bigger changes. It looks like 2019 will see a complete ban on plastic straws, plastic drinks stirrers and even cotton buds. Look out for a rise in ‘bring your own vegetable bags’ and eco food wrap.
Stroh Natural Wheat Drinking Straws
Liked this? Why not share it!
At I Need a Chef, we provide fully qualified Chefs & Kitchen Staff
We specialise in temporary and permanent placements to the industry, as well as personal chefs in your home.
Contact the team now and let us help you get the right staff every time!